Dopyaza means double the amount of onions – this preparation uses a lot of onions and aromatic whole spices to deliver a mouth-watering delicacy! I have always been a big fan of any type of dopyaza, my favorite being Kathal (jackfruit) dopyaza!
I love growing vegetables in my garden and look forward to this time of year when I can pick the fresh produce and enjoy them. This year I planted pickling cucumber (by mistake) and was concerned that they turned yellow before growing too big. I tasted one and it did not have enough flavor to use in salad so I decided to use them in curry. Hence, the inception of cucumber dopyaza!
This recipe is super simple yet delicioso! I might be growing more of these cucumbers so I can enjoy this new favorite of mine.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much I have!
- 3 big cucumbers (I used picking)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-inch ginger, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 black cardamoms
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 3-4 cloves
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 5-6 black peppercorn
- 3-4 whole red chilies
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 3 tbsp. mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel and cut cucumber into cubes.
- Add oil in a pressure cooker (or thick bottom pan).
- Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamoms, peppercorns, cloves, and red chilies and let them crackle.
- Add sliced onions and fry until golden. Add chopped ginger garlic and fry for few more minutes.
- Add cucumber pieces, tomatoes, salt, and turmeric and fry for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Pressure cook for one whistle.
- If using a pan, cover the lid tightly and cook for 15-20 minutes on medium low heat or until cucumbers are tender. Make sure to stir occasionally.
- Add chopped cilantro and serve hot with rotis or parathas.
One thought on “Cucumber Dopyaza/Curry”
As I have already said you have green fingers and grow such gorgeous looking veggies. There is no bigger happiness than actually having such fresh home grown veggies. The cucumber dopyaza looks absolutely delicious. I love the spice mix that you have used. I have never tried dopyaza with veggies. This recipe is a must try. Yummy yummy.
LikeLiked by 1 person