Are your kids picky eaters? We as parents play an integral role in making good food choices and teaching them healthy eating habits. Trying to figure out what to cook for them that will make them clean their plates and provide proper nutrition is not an easy task. My girls are picky eaters so I am constantly coming up with ideas to “trick” them into eating veggies and incorporate them to the dishes in a way so they don’t run away from the dinner table.
I have wanted to use zucchini in my baking for a while now. I am a big fan of zucchini bread and wanted to make one. I ended up making these healthy zucchini flaxseed breakfast muffins and was super duper happy with the result. The mini chocolate chips were perfect to lure my kids to try them! Surprisingly, these muffins are really light and addition of ground flaxseed makes them wholesome and hearty. If my 7-year old picky eater can gobble it down and ask for another one, it has to be a sure shot winner!
Let’s check out the recipe and make these power packed muffins for breakfast or after school snack!!
Recipe Servings: 12-14 muffins Time: 30-40 minutes
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a standard muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix egg, oil, milk, vanilla extract and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Mix well until the batter comes together. Do not over mix.
- Fold grated zucchini and chocolate chips in the batter.
- Fill muffin cups with batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. You can check with a fork or toothpick and it should come out clean.
- Cool muffins on a wire cooling rack.
2 thoughts on “Zucchini Chocolate Chips Power Muffins”