Oh, how much I have missed blogging! Life has been very hectic with a full time job and kids’ activities but thanks to the Thanksgiving dinner that made me share this absolutely delicious recipe with all of you.
The Brussels sprout belongs to the same family as cabbage and they look like mini cabbages. It has long been popular in Brussels,Belgium, and may have gained its name there (Wikipedia).
I did not grow up eating Brussels sprout but have developed a liking for them especially the roasted kind. This Thanksgiving I prepared roasted Brussels sprout salad and it was a big hit among adults and kids! I was super happy when my 6-year-old nephew said few times that he really loved the salad!
This salad has crunchiness from the nuts, sweetness from the cranberries and tartness from the balsamic vinegar and is so pleasing to the eyes and palate at the same time.
I have used slivered almonds here but you can add walnuts or pecans if you like. Balsamic vinegar enhances the flavor and cuts down on the bitterness so try not to substitute that. In fact someone at the Thanksgiving gathering loved the salad in spite of the fact that she does not like Balsamic vinegar, so give it a try.
You can make this as an appetizer or a side dish – a yummilicious accompaniment to your Holiday meal!!
Recipe Servings: 6-8 Time: 30 minutes
- 2 Lbs. Brussels Sprout
- ½ Red Onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ Tbsp. sesame ginger dressing or vinaigrette
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Cut the stem, wash and slice the sprouts lengthwise. I made 4 slices in each sprout. You can even quarter them if you like.
- Put the sliced Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Add olive oil, black pepper, salt and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes. Toss them couple times to avoid burning.
- Take them and let them cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- In a salad bowl, mix roasted sprouts, sliced onions, shredded carrots, cranberries and almonds. Mix gently and add Balsamic vinegar and sesame ginger dressing and toss lightly to coat the salad.
- Garnish with slivered almonds and enjoy!