Tilapia has become a part of our regular diet. I like to bake it with some herbs and oil, shallow fry it or cook in a spicy, tangy Indian curry. The texture of this fish holds really well with any of the recipes I have tries do far. The best part is that it does not have a fishy smell or taste if using fresh.
This recipe was created using ingredients I thought would go well with this fish and I was absolutely satisfied and pleased with the result. This is a super easy recipe that can be made in no time and is sure to become a part of your weekly quick-fix meal.
This fish fry is a perfect crowd pleaser and can be served as an appetizer or entrée. I tried the leftovers in a wrap and they were really delicious.
Try out this recipe with tilapia or any other fish of your choice!
Recipe Servings: 3-4 Time: 45 minutes
1 lb. Tilapia filet, fresh
Oil to shallow fry
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tsp. Yellow mustard seeds
½ tsp. black mustard seeds
½ Tbsp. dry mint leaves
4 green chilies
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. tomato puree
1 tsp. coriander powder
¼ tsp. garam masala
½ tsp. chaat masala
Salt to taste
- Cut tilapia into small pieces.
- Grind ginger, garlic, mustard seeds and green chilies into a paste, using very little water.
- Add all other ingredients and the paste in a bowl and coat the fish pieces in it.
- Cover and let it marinade for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat a gridle or non-stick pan.
- Brush it with some oil.
- Add marinated fish and let them sear on medium-high heat. Turn and cook the other side.
- It takes about 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the fillet.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice on them.
- Serve with mint chutney and sliced red onions!
2 thoughts on “Spicy Tilapia Fish Fry”
Priya I have totally fallen for the medly of flavours that you have incorporated in the fish. I thought the use of two types of mustard seeds was really interesting as the punch that they would add to the taste would be lovely. The fish looks so tasty and truly inviting. Loved it.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks a lot dear Piyali! It truly means a lot coming from you 🙂